I first attended Donna’s yoga class in 2017 when a friend invited me to join her for the “Senior Yoga” class. I have taken yoga for several years under many different instructors at various studios. During this first class it was evident that Donna was not your “run-of-the-mill” yoga instructor, which became even more obvious with each additional class I attended.
Why do I say this? Here are some of the reasons I find it to be worth driving 18 miles one way to attend Donna’s classes! (I should also disclose that I do offer an informed view on Donna’s teaching style. I’m a retired Physical Therapist with 44 years of experience and a critical eye for movement and body safety.)
- Donna is very warm and welcoming. New participants are introduced and welcomed into the group.
- The classes are structured to begin with warm up poses to prepare the body for the goal pose of the day.
- Donna leads the poses with great verbal cues so you know what body part you should be moving, which muscles should be working and most importantly that you should NOT be having pain in a joint!!
- Donna keeps a keen eye on the class and will offer modifications to the poses when needed, insuring that everyone is working within their capabilities without stressing their bodies. This is done without embarrassingly singling out individuals.
- She knows her students and their abilities and will encourage them to progress when she determines that they could try to do a “little more”.
- I love her motto: “Keep Your Eyes on Your Own Mat”- eliminating the self-judgement or embarrassment one might feel in their abilities! This saying has become a fun comment on the “home front” too!!
- I’ve have noticed improvement in my general: strength, balance, flexibility and endurance.
- Class is always a very enjoyable experience!
A very happy yoga student (I attend the Senior Yoga & the Yoga 1-2 class)
I like the challenge of the classes on Monday’s and Thursday’s. The intensity and speed of the class is great! Keeps me young! Even though I take my sleep seriously I’m willing to say “Yes” to a 10:00 am Monday class.